Protecting the safety and wellbeing of children enrolled at Clayton North Primary School is our highest priority. Families put their trust in the staff, volunteers and external providers to keep their children safe as they learn. We know students learn best when they feel they are in a safe and supportive environment.
We are committed to the safety, participation and empowerment of our children and have zero tolerance of child abuse. All allegations and safety concerns will be treated very seriously and consistently. We have legal and moral obligations to contact authorities when we are worried about a child’s safety, which we follow rigorously. The school is committed to regularly training and educating our staff and volunteers on child abuse risks and all staff undertake Mandatory Reporting training.
We support and respect all children, as well as our staff and volunteers, and are committed to the cultural safety of children from diverse backgrounds, and to providing a safe environment for children with a disability.
All schools are required to implement the Child Safe Standards.
- On July 1 2022, new Child Safe Standards were introduced. Ministerial Order 1359 provides the framework for child safety in schools.
The Child Safe Standards are:
- Child Safe Standard 1 – Establish a culturally safe environment in which the diverse and unique identities and experiences of Aboriginal children and young people are respected and valued.
- Child Safe Standard 2 – Ensure that child safety and wellbeing are embedded in school leadership, governance and culture.
- Child Safe Standard 3 – Children and young people are empowered about their rights, participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously.
- Child Safe Standard 4 – Families and communities are informed and involved in promoting child safety and wellbeing.
- Child Safe Standard 5 – Equity is upheld and diverse needs are respected in policy and practice.
- Child Safe Standard 6 – People working with children and young people are suitable and supported to reflect child safety and wellbeing values in practice
- Child Safe Standard 7 – Ensure that processes for complaints and concerns are child focused.
- Child Safe Standard 8 – Staff and volunteers are equipped with the knowledge, skills and awareness to keep children and young people safe through ongoing education and training.
- Child Safe Standard 9 – Physical and online environments promote safety and wellbeing while minimising the opportunity for children and young people to be harmed.
- Child Safe Standard 10 – Implementation of the Child Safe Standards is regularly reviewed and improved.
- Child Safe Standard 11 – Policies and procedures that document how schools are safe for children, young people and students.
At Clayton North Primary School there is a culture of ‘no tolerance’ for child abuse.
Please see the following weblinks related to Mandatory Reporting & Child Safety.
Failure to disclose offence
Further Information and Documentation
Child Safety Policy
Child Safe Code of Conduct
Child Safe Reporting Obligations Policy
Child Safety Risk Management
Student Wellbeing and Engagement Policy
Aboriginal Learning, Wellbeing and Safety Policy